Welcome to Crafting Made Simple!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

How to make an easy and cute fall wall hanging

As fall is mid-way through, I thought my first craft I would bring you is a fall wall hanging. It’s pretty simple and easy to modify if you choose to have a different saying or picture.  

The supplies needed are:
1 pumpkin cutout
1 “Autumn Blessings” cutout
Various leaf cutouts, amount depending on the size of your plaque
1 wooden wall plaque (I used 9”x13”)
1 bottle of dark brown crafting paint
1 bottle of cream crafting paint
Foam or regular paintbrush
Glue/ Mod Podge
Ribbon (optional)
Sand paper

The first thing I do to all of my wooden wall hangings is sand them down. I think that the paint looks better on a smooth surface. Once your wooden plaque is sanded down, apply 1-2 coats of the dark brown paint and let dry. Once dry, apply 1-2 coats of the cream paint, once dry give a light sanding to the outside edges to give a warn look.
Apply your pumpkin and “Autumn Blessings” with a thin coat of glue, making sure to coat the entire surface of the cutout completely. Using too much glue will cause your paper to buckle and give your hanging an uneven look. Once all the cutouts have dried I applied 1-2 coats of (matte) Mod Podge to seal all of the cutouts onto my wall hanging. This will also help seal any edges down that may have pealed up while drying.

Some wall hangings you purchase at craft stores come with nail brackets on the back, others come bare. I like to add ribbon with hot glue to smaller wall hangings. It gives them a more decorative look and is a simple solution for hardware free wall hangings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment