Welcome to Crafting Made Simple!

Sunday, November 13, 2011

How To: Easy to make Holiday luminaries

Today my sister-in-law and I went to a craft show and I was inspired. There were so many incredible things that I do not think I have time to make, but after a quick trip to Michaels and a lot of contemplation we decided to make luminaries.

I plan to make more in different sizes, and also square instead of a circle. I will post more as I make them!
  
Blurry, but a good idea of what it will look like light up.


Covered seam



What you will need:
  1. Flameless LED Tealights (1)
  2. Cardstock/scrapbook paper
  3. Vellum
  4. Christmas, winter, or holiday punch.
  5. Glue
  6. Scissors or paper cutter

You first need to cut your paper down to the size you want. I used 11X8.5 paper and cut it in half long ways (4.25") and then cut about 1" to make the final deminsions 4.25"X10".  As I have mentioned before, I have a Cricut and use it for most of my crafting, this project included. If you are using a Cricut make sure to move your blade down about 1.5" and over about 1" to center and allow room for overlapping. If you are using a paper punch, punch around paper, allowing room on both ends for overlapping to glue.

Flip your paper over after all designs are cut out and glue vellium to the back side of the paper. I found that my vellium wanted to curl up at the edges so I placed it under a book to dry for about 10 minutes, and it seemed about perfect. Be sure to get around the edges of your cutouts, or when you roll your paper the vellium will pull away.

 Once you have your design cut out and the vellium glued to the inside, bring the edges together and glue, making sure to wipe all access glue away. I used a hot glue gun to make sure I had a stron hold. If you do not have a hot glue gun, masking tape on the inside and outside to hgold the sides together while they dry may be a good idea. Another tip is to wrap it around something like a can or a peanut butter jar to dry. This way you can make sure you have a perfect circle!

I cut out trees, and glued red stars in the spaces between the trees. and a larger star to cover the seam where the sides are glued together. Other ideas are; gems, sequins, different punches, or bows.

No comments:

Post a Comment