Welcome to Crafting Made Simple!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

DIY hanging picture frames

This might be one of the easiest projects I have ever done, and maybe one of my favorites. I've made these frames several times, each time evolving it a little more and I think it is now perfected.
I used
6 unfinished frames (4x6)
1 spool Satin ribbon
1/2 yard fabric
Tacky glue
Sissors
Staple gun
Picture hangers of your choice
Foam brush


I started out by painting the entire front, sides and inside of the frame with tacky glue and then cut off the extra. I pulled the fabric over the frame tight, the glue drys fast on a unfinished frame because it soaks into the wood fast. Once you have the fabric in the right place, poke a hole in the center of the picture frame cut a 'X' to the inside edges --just where the picture would be. Add more glue if needed, and push the fabric flaps into the frame and cut off the access. Repeat for the rest of the frames.

Follow the purple lines to cut fabric to inside of the frame


I spaced my frames out, about 6" inches apart from each other on my ribbon and marked on the back with pencil where I wanted them. I used a staple gun, however I think hot glue would work just fine, to secure my frames. At the top I used a half-circle fastener as my hanger, but there are a tons of decorative options available of you would like something a little more fancy.
As you can see from the picture of the back, I did not use fancy or nice picture frames. I got mine from Ikea, 3 for $2. If you want to use finished wooden frames make sure to sand them first!
I'd love to see pictures of you try these!

Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment