Welcome to Crafting Made Simple!

Sunday, January 29, 2012

DIY Valentine's day wreath


My free time has been a little lacking lately, so when I had a free day I went to the fabric store and picked up some supplies to make a valentines day wreath.

My supplies I used were:

1/4 yard red felt
1/4 yard light pink felt
White patterned quilt square
Pink patterned quilt square
Fabric stiffener
Pearl embellishments
Hot glue gun
Scissors
Wreath

I started by cutting my felt length wise in about a 2.5" strip. This did not cover my wreath completely, so I aded a red strip at the top to cover it and I liked the look. Depending on the size wreath you want you may need to cut more than one strip of each. I started wrapping my strips together and adding hot glue after every 2-3 times around--always at the back. Once I had my wreath covered cut a small skinny strip of each color, twisted, then hot glued to the back. If I had a third color, I think it would have looked cute braided.
The flowers were the most difficult and time consuming part of this project. I used my Cricut and the Flower Shoppe cartridge to cut them out. If you do not have a Cricut, there are tons of cute flowers available at craft stores, and you would not need the quilt squares or the Pearl embellishments.


I started out by applying  fabric stiffener to my fabric. I like to apply it then microwave it for 30-60 seconds to help it dry, I have also heard of people using a blow dryer to speed up the process. Once it is completely dry, I put it on my mat. Now if you are having problems making your fabric stick you can use masking tape or painters tape on the entire surface or the edges  to help it stay in place. Set your depth to 6, your speed to 1 and your pressure to 6. Cut away! You may need to cut parts that did not cut completely from the Cricut.  I alternated colors but my biggest flower is 3" and they decrease in size by .5" and stop at 1.5" at the center. I assembled my flowers with hot glue and added a pearl embellishment in the center.
I positioned my flowers where I wanted and hot glued them on and my wreath was finished!



No comments:

Post a Comment